What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is a procedure of stain removal and brightening the shade of teeth with the use of special substances and devices. Modern whitening techniques give maximum whitening results in a very short time; the procedure is safe and, with the proper oral cavity hygiene afterwards, the whitening effect will last several years after.
How does it work?
The teeth whitening procedure consists in the oxidation of stains in the tooth structure with the use of hydrogen peroxide, sometimes combined with carbamide peroxide. Depending on the case the chemicals may be used on their own or activated by special tools like a laser (Philips Zoom).
What are the teeth whitening methods?
- In office method – as a first step, the dentist will examine the patient’s teeth and make a decision when to start the procedure. It depends on the teeth condition (the procedure may be postponed in order to cure any carious lesions or remove the plaque or tartar). If there are no contraindications, the dentist will examine and record the current shade of teeth. During the preparation process the patient is given safety goggles and a mouth retractor (to protect the mouth area tissue). In order to protect gums from the whitening substance damage, the cofferdam gel is being applied to the gums. Next, the whitening transparent gel is being applied to the teeth and the dentist illuminates the teeth with a special lamp, that activates the gel (some preparations don’t need activation). The whole procedure takes from 15 to 20 minutes and it needs to be repeated 3 to 4 times. After that the final result is being compared to the previous shade of teeth. The result stabilises after about 6 weeks. In order to achieve the best whitening effects, it is recommended to get your teeth thoroughly cleaned by the dentist.
- Overlay whitening – It starts with the manufacturing of overlays with their shape based on the teeth print. The overlays covered with whitening gel are to be used accordingly to doctor’s indications – mainly in the night. This type of teeth whitening takes a little bit longer – from 10 to 14 days, but the result are the best of all domestic methods.
- Dead tooth whitening – after the root-canal treatment the tooth will turn blue as time goes by. It may cause an aesthetic problem. The dead tooth changes its colour inside, so the whitening method is different to the regular one. The tooth must be opened first, in order to apply the whitening insert into it. It works from the inside and must be replaced every few days until the result is satisfying. After the treatment the crown in being closed with composite filling. Sometimes, the complete whitening is impossible. In some cases the procedure must be redone in a few years.
Why is the modern ZOOM whitening method distinctive?
The ZOOM! System was developed by dr Bill Dorfman, who takes care of the smiles of Hollywood stars. This innovative method enables the effective and spectacular teeth whitening in just one hour – including the preparation time (gums and mouth protection). The ZOOM! gel is being applied to the teeth and activated by the special, dedicated light. The gel penetrates the teeth, gently removing the stains and discolorations. The procedure is comfortable for the patient. If it’s necessary, sanding and polishing are being performed just before the procedure. If there are contraindications for the in office whitening procedure, the ZOOM! Night White gel may also be used at home (overlay whitening).
Teeth whitening with the special Philips ZOOM lamp causes no teeth hypersensitivity thanks to the adjustable light intensity.
What are the indications for teeth whitening?
The teeth whitening procedure is available for everyone who’s teeth are healthy, no matter the fillings amount. The indications are: discoloration caused by the age, stains from coffee, tea, cigarettes and so on, that cannot be removed by just cleaning the teeth. The necessary condition for the best results is the patient – dentist cooperation. It’s essential to maintain oral cavity hygiene and to give up on bad habits.
Why teeth whitening in Dental Clinic Stomatologia Warszawa?
- Specialistic consultations – during the consultation you’ll be provided all the details about the teeth whitening treatment, methods and expected results.
- Highly qualified medical staff – we are a team of dentists who know every possible method of teeth whitening, thus we are able to choose the best type of whitening procedure.
- Painless procedure – due to the methods and the best preparations we use, the teeth whitening procedures in our clinic are completely painless.
- Precise diagnostic – thanks to our computer diagnostic centre, we are able to examine every patient for carious lesions or any kind of abnormalities that could affect the whitening results.
- Complexity of the service – due to our clinic providing all the dental services and the best equipment in one location, we deliver the best aesthetic results.